Sunday, October 14, 2012

apple cider muffins.

"Danie. How do you have time to bake?!"
  1. I like mornings a lot
  2. I do a lot of my homework...on the weekends. (HI, MOM AND DAD.)
  3. I like baking enough to make time for it
  4. I live too close to the food co-op
  5. Because I just do. I just have time.

Theatre majors like snacks. And when you're at rehearsal for 3+ hours a night, you most likely, at some point, want a snack.




Vegan Apple Cider Muffins

Makes 16 muffins.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 flax egg or other egg substitute
1/3 cup plain soy yogurt (or not soy)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple butter (can sub applesauce, or pumpkin..or pumpkin butter)
1/3 cup apple cider
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup canola oil
turbinado sugar for muffin tops (optional)

Optional mix-ins: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 chopped apple

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two muffin tins. 

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Fold in walnuts, if desired.  In another bowl, whisk together flax egg, yogurt, maple syrup, sugar, apple cider, apple butter, vanilla, and oil. Stir in chopped apple. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Fill muffin cups with batter and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. Cook for 15-20 or until a toothpick, inserted, comes out clean.

Let cool for two minutes before moving to a wire rack. 

1 comment:

  1. MMMMM,...Your vegan apple cider muffins rocked! I have made them & they were superb!

    I am not a vegan but do eat, cook & bake vegan 5x/week!
    Come on over @ my blog & check me out! :)

    ReplyDelete