Friday, September 21, 2012

best ever vegan ginger molasses cookies.



Sometimes I want to feel like home. Sometimes I need a hug from my mom. 

Cookies are like hugs, especially when that hug is coming from my own mother. My deep-rooted love affair with cookies stems from her. (PLANT PUNS.) We're simple people when it comes to desserts; my mother is a strong believer in the medicinal properties of a fresh-baked cookie.

Let's talk about molasses cookies. They're my all-time favorite and one of my mom's favorites. I cannot, will not ever turn one down. Cozy and autumn-y and gingery and chewy. YOU, my friend, are a star among cookies. 



The ultimate cookie hug from your mom.

Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
3/4 cup non-dairy, non-hydrogenated buttery spread
1 flax egg (1 Tbs ground flax mixed with 3 Tbs warm water) or 1 alternative egg subsitute
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
white sugar, for rolling

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, and spices for two minutes. Beat in flax egg and molasses. Gradually add dry ingredients and combine til incorporated. 

Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll dough into walnut sized balls. Before placing on cookie sheet, roll in white sugar. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes and let rest on cookie sheets before placing onto a wire rack for cooling.


HEY! This articles is on One Green Planet! Cool beans!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, these were soooo good. My twin 3 year olds helped me roll them in sugar. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete